Dhcpd failover with fixed IP only : thoughts ?

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Sep 7 09:16:08 UTC 2013

Hi Tom

Fixed IP and dhcpd, I assume you mean you use host statements with
fixed-address only? This is the simplest case, run as many dhcpd servers
as you like, ie can do more than 2, each with an identical config. No
failover configuration is needed, no clustering (eg RedHat cluster),
either.

In your routers make sure it sets the dhcp relay to forward to all the
dhcp servers.

Fixed-address is a special case within the server in that it doesn't get
handled like a dynamic lease, so each server can hand out the same address
and it will all "just work".

Use something like rsync/scp to copy the dhcpd.conf to the other servers.

regards,
-glenn