Arrays of strings not supported?

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 17:41:40 UTC 2013

Hello there,

I'm currently playing around with PXE and  IPv6, which suppose a
working DHCPv6 daemon.
RFC 5970 define two new options for this purpose: OPT_BOOTFILE_URL
(59) and OPT_BOOTFILE_PARAM (60).
The first one hold only a string, while the second is supposed to hold
an array of strings.

ISC DHCP does not support these options, therefore I have to define
them myself like this.

option dhcp6.bootfile-url code 59 = string;
option dhcp6.bootfile-param code 60 = array of string;

The first one is ok, and works fine. However, the second is rejected
by the server with the following error message:
/etc/dhcp/dhcpd6.conf line 16: arrays of text strings not yet supported.
option dhcp6.bootfile-param code 60 = array of string;
                                                ^

I read somewhere that this was due to the protocol not defining the
way to represent an array of variable-length elements. However RFC
5970 is quite specific regarding the data layout of the option
OPT_BOOTFILE_PARAM.

Will this option be supported soon? Can I somehow make it work anyway?

Regards,
Celelibi