Motorola Canopy and static IP's

Geordie geordi at kos.net
Wed Feb 5 14:45:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:00:02 +0000
dhcp-users-request at lists.isc.org wrote:

> things use the 169.154.x.x IPs if they don't
> find the DHCP server they are looking for.
>
> The question I would consider is this:
> Did the boxes get their addresses from DHCP or did they invent them as
> they are supposed to? If they get the address from DHCP, the setup
> should give them the gateway address as well, if they invent them,
> they will not have a gateway address and hence no internet access.
>
> Changing to the RFC 1918 address set or any other will tell you that.

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination   Gateway  	Genmask  Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default     169.254.1.1 0.0.0.0    UG    0     0    0 eth0
link-local      *       255.255.0.0 U   1000   0    0 eth0

More info
# network-test
INFO: This system has exactly one default route
INFO: Host localhost answers to ICMP pings
INFO: Loopback interface is working properly
INFO: The lo # Strip the ending ':' interface is up
INFO: The lo interface has IP address 127.0.0.1 assigned
INFO: The lo interface has tx and rx packets.
INFO: The eth0 # Strip the ending ':' interface is up
INFO: The eth0 interface has IP address 169.254.1.7 assigned
INFO: The eth0 interface has tx and rx packets.
WARN: The wlan0 # Strip the ending ':' interface is down
INFO: The router 169.254.1.1 is reachable
INFO: This system is configured to use nameserver 64.64.176.10
INFO: Host 64.64.176.10 answers to ICMP pings
INFO: Dns server 64.64.176.10 resolved correctly www.debian.org
INFO: This system is configured to use nameserver 64.64.176.11
INFO: Host 64.64.176.11 answers to ICMP pings
INFO: Dns server 64.64.176.11 resolved correctly www.debian.org
INFO: There are 2 nameservers is configured for this system and 2 are
working properly INFO: System can reach Internet host www.debian.org
INFO: System can access web server at Internet host www.debian.org

As soon as I change /etc/network/interfaces to any other address ie
192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x I have no internet connection.
And if I change iface eth0 inet dhcp to iface eth0 inet static
and give an address of 169.254.1.10 the connection ip address is
changed to 169.254.1.7

From my readings last night I believe a dhcp server may not be the
answer and I should consider some sort of router software.

Thanks
Geordie