Motorola Canopy and static IP's

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Wed Feb 5 00:43:36 UTC 2014

On 05/02/14 01.14, Geordie wrote:
> to Sten Carlsen
>
> Did you consider the importance of the 169.254.x.x IP?
> RFC 5227
> http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc5227
>

>   Allocation of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses [RFC3927] can be thought of
>    as a special case of this mechanism, where the configuring agent is
>    a pseudo-random number generator, and the action it takes upon being
>    notified of a conflict is to pick a different random number and try
>    again.  In fact, this is exactly how IPv4 Link-Local Addressing was
>    implemented in Mac OS 9 back in 1998.  If the DHCP client failed to
>    get a response from any DHCP server, it would simply make up a fake
>    response containing a random 169.254.x.x address.  If the ARP module
>    reported a conflict for that address, then the DHCP client would try
>    again, making up a new random 169.254.x.x address as many times as
>    was necessary until it succeeded.  Implementing ACD as a standard
>    feature of the networking stack has the side effect that it means
>    that half the work for IPv4 Link-Local Addressing is already done.
>
> Actually I never gave it much thought until I tried to setup LXC
> containers on a server and the IP addresses were not static. The
> addressing has been this way since we moved here in 2007. I have been
> through several generation of linux boxes and Windows xp and it was
> always the same. I have replaced routers and switches with the results
> So I guess the DHCP client was doing its job on all the different boxes.
> I am assuming, please correct me if I wrong, that I need to set up dhcp
> server to handle the queries. But how does one actual have the dhcp
> server connect to the wan through the Motorola? Or does the DHCP server
> auto magically connect. Is there something special I need to ask or
> look for?
I don't know about the Motorola (never seen one of them), but I have
seen that more and more things use the 169.154.x.x IPs if they don't
find the DHCP server they are looking for.

The question I would consider is this:
Did the boxes get their addresses from DHCP or did they invent them as
they are supposed to? If they get the address from DHCP, the setup
should give them the gateway address as well, if they invent them, they
will not have a gateway address and hence no internet access.

Changing to the RFC 1918 address set or any other will tell you that.

> Thanks for the read
> Geordie

Best regards

Sten Carlsen