Requesting a lease time in dhclient6.conf

Mike. the.lists at mgm51.com
Fri Feb 14 15:37:14 UTC 2014

On 2/13/2014 at 5:15 PM Joseph Bernard wrote:

|I just gave myself a crash corse in DHCP options, so some of this
may be
|wrong.  dhcp-lease-time corresponds to option 51 for DHCPv4 as
defined in
|the common/tables.c file of the ISC DHCP source code.  The DHCPv4
spec
|defines option 51 as "Address Time".  For DHCPv6, the options aren't
the
|same.  As far as I can tell, there is no DHCPv6 equivalent option
for
|"Address Time".  This might change in the future.  Here are the
links I
|used to figure this out:
|
|http://www.iana.org/assignments/dhcpv6-parameters/dhcpv6-parameters.x
html#dhcpv6-parameters-2
|http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-para
meters.xhtml#options
|https://github.com/mcr/isc-dhcp/blob/master/common/tables.c

Thanks for the follow-up.  I came to a similar conclusion.

I was able to implement a work-around that solves my immediate
problem.   I assign a fixed-address6 to the box based upon its MAC
address (hardware ethernet).   In that config block of dhcpd6.conf, I
added a value for default-lease-time.    That overrides the
default-lease-time specifically globally at the top of the config
file.

While it is not specified in the dhclient6.conf, as I would have
preferred, it is specific to just that one client.