How to run the server?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 09:34:01 UTC 2014

Naveen <naveensampath at tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:

> I had downloaded the dhcp-4.1-ESV-R4 code and done the following steps,
>
> make
> make install
>

> but after that, how can i start the server????

If your config and leases files are in the default locations compiled into the code, and you want to listen on all interfaces, then just run the executable: "dhcpd"
Otherwise, you'll need at add options. From the man pages :

dhcpd(8)

NAME
       dhcpd - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server

SYNOPSIS
       dhcpd  [ -p port ] [ -f ] [ -d ] [ -q ] [ -t | -T ] [ -4 | -6 ] [ -s server ]
       [ -cf config-file ] [ -lf lease-file ] [ -pf pid-file ] [ --no-pid ]
       [ -tf trace-output-file ] [ -play trace-playback-file ] [ if0 [ ...ifN  ]]

The most like.ly options you might want are :
-f Stay in foreground (useful for debugging)
-d Sent logging to sterr instead of syslog (again, useful for debugging)
-t|T Test the config|leases file
-cf|lf|pf Specify locations of files
-4|6 Specify whether to run IPv4|IPv6