How to run the server?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 15:25:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:31:07AM +0000, Steven Carr wrote:
> On 3 January 2014 05:31, Naveen <naveensampath at tataelxsi.co.in>
> wrote:
> > but after that, how can i start the server????
> > I read the README file too, but no information available on
> > how to run the server..
>
> Have you read the man pages? i.e. 'man dhcpd'

To be precise, the dhcpd(8) manual is going to have information
useful for the distribution's packager, who needs to know about
options which can (or should) be set on the command line.

> On a standard Linux system...
> /etc/init.d/dhcpd start

One might just as well say a "standard" Linux system would use
"service dhcpd start", if in fact there really is a standard. Yes,
LSB exists, but startup scripts and procedures do vary.

> But you will need to configure dhcpd first...

Good point.

> Google is your friend, there is a ton of resource out there on
> how to setup/configure dhcpd.

Maybe. There's also a ton of misinformation. :) Usually one might
prefer starting with the documentation. Note that dhcpd refers to
other manuals, such as dhcp-eval and dhcp-options.

Also check out the ISC KB:

http://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00333/

And perhaps browse around the KB when a specific question comes up,
to see if it has been answered there.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/