HA options

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 17:02:38 UTC 2014

On 22 January 2014 16:06, Raymond Drew Walker <Ray.Walker at nau.edu> wrote:
> I’m currently researching options for DHCP high availability in our
> environment.
>
> Our current setup is a dhcpd failover pair managing all networks.
>
> Are there current options for or future plans to allow more than 2 nodes in
> a failover setup?
>
> Aside from splitting up networks between multiple managing DHCP servers are
> there any other/better options for HA in dhcpd?

So DHCP failover will provide you with one level of redundancy (single
DHCP server failure), if you then require a second level of redundancy
(multiple server failures) then you're going to have to have some kind
of HA on the server itself.

As has been mentioned VMware HA could be used if you are virtualized,
or you could manually build some kind of failover in Linux (no idea
how that would interact with DHCP and keep the filesystem in sync).
Alternatively there are a number of commercial DHCP appliances out
there which have HA capability between two appliances.

Steve