dhcpd can not run with bond interface

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 09:09:14 UTC 2014

Julie Xu <xll40 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have just configured a new machine which has 4 ethernet interface 1G, I have bond them to interface bond0, I can login  without any problem.
>
> but, when I put the dhcpd.conf into the box, it said:
> Jun 22 14:07:49 test dhcpd: No subnet declaration for eth0 (no IPv4 addresses).
> Jun 22 14:07:49 test dhcpd: ** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
> Jun 22 14:07:49 test dhcpd:    you want, please write a subnet declaration
> Jun 22 14:07:49 test dhcpd:    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
> Jun 22 14:07:49 test dhcpd:    to which interface eth0 is attached. **
>
> Please advice what possible problem I get?

By default, dhcpd will try and bind to all interfaces - and since you won't have a subnet declared which matches eth0, then startup fails. You need to specify the interface(s) you wish to bind to at startup. This can be via the command line (eg dhcpd <options> bond0), or more normally this would be defined in a config file (such as /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server on Debian systems).