dhcp server IP pool monitoring

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Wed Mar 12 08:47:52 UTC 2014

Hello,

> we have 3 dhcp servers.
> dhcp-1: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago): dhcp-4.1.1
> dhcp-2: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago): dhcp-4.1.1
> dhcp-3: Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy):  isc-dhcp-server 4.2.6
>
> we have 75 C Class IPs and 105 subnets (pool) on dhcp servers.
>
> i'm looking dhcp server IP pool monitoring tool. we tried solarwinds
> IPAM, cacti. but they don't work correctly.
> i found some open source script, i want to monitoring (viewing) IP Pools
> like mrtg, time based and graphical interface
>
> any ideas?

If you are using (or are willing to use) Xymon you could use a client-side
script to monitor the pool utilisation. This script requires (a) access to
the leases file, (b) a description of all pools handled by the server and
(c) Xymon to present the results. To give you an idea, the first lines in
our description are:

#PoolName  Type FirstAddress  LastAddress
N1x-net-k                  f 137.17.3.8      137.17.3.239
N1x-net-u                  l 137.17.3.240    137.17.3.254

(The type is either "f" for a fail-over pool or "l" for a local pool.)

Regards,
   Wim Nelis.

The NLR disclaimer is valid for NLR e-mail messages.

This message is only meant for providing information. Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual
or legal commitment on the part of the sender.
This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this
message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message.
Sender accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic
transmission of messages.