dhcp server IP pool monitoring

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 09:54:37 UTC 2014

"Capriccio, Peter" <peter.capriccio at hp.com> wrote:

> All of the solutions that parse the lease file can never be 100% accurate because the real "stuff" is taking place in memory, is it not?

No, for any RFC compliant package, the leases file (or equivalent) on disk will accurately reflect any leases before they are offered to the client. This is certainly the case with the ISC DHCP server - all lease information is written to the leases file and synced to disk before the lease is offered to the client*

Worst case is that the lease file lags in-memory information by a few seconds.

* Though I believe the current version has a config option to delay this a little for performance ?