LDAP structure to share config for more than one site

Márcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Fri Nov 28 18:55:12 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I manage a network with 3 remote branches connected to the main office
by IPsec VPN. I am looking for DHCP+OpenLDAP as a solution to ease
management of hosts and address pools across all sites. My idea is to
have a single cn=dhcp on my LDAP tree to be read by all 4 dhcp servers,
with all subClass'es and hosts definitions, but retaining each one's
config, address pools and options on each one's own branch pointing to
hosts and classes branch.  I want to be able to roam to the offices
without having to move my device from one branch to another on the tree.

The conversion script dhcpd-conf-to-ldap places all hosts, classes and
subClass'es inside the scope of a single server and I am having some
hard time to figure out how to structure this tree to work as described
above. Something like:

dc=a1
     ou=People
     cn=dhcp
         cn=dhcpClass1
         cn=dhcpClass2
         cn=dhcpHost1
         cn=dhcpServer1
         cn=dhcpServer2
         cn=dhcpServer3
         cn=dhcpServer4
         cn=dhcpService1
         cn=dhcpService2
         cn=dhcpService3
         cn=dhcpService4

Can it be this "flat"? I could not find many samples on the net or how
each objectClass relates to another (as said before I have very basic
knowledge of dhcp). Could someone provide a sample structure/ldif or
point me the right direction?

Thanks, best regards and excuse my bad english.

--
*Marcio Merlone*