moving subnet to another server

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Jan 9 19:43:11 UTC 2015

Dana Huggard wrote:
> Thanks Patrick.   I don't know how to handle that. Not sure how smart dhcp
> is to detect such a condition or how long it would take for things to sort
> itself out.

I don't consider myself to be a DHCP expert. But this is not something to be
explained with a few words in a mailing list posting to get successfully done
with this task.

What exactly do you want to achieve?
Why are you migrating to a new server?
Just for better performance?
How many subnets do you have?
How big are they?
How many active leases?
IPv6?
Do you need real HA with DHCP failover server?

Seriously, you should get a good DHCP book and read about all this, e.g. "The
DHCP handbook" by Ralph Droms and Ted Lemon.

> The default-lease-time in the subnet declaration is 600.   Is there a
> preferred way to handle this?

This is very short. Now wonder that your DHCP server is under heavy load. The
DHCP clients have to ask for lease renewal after 300s then.

Read chapter "Tuning a DHCP Service" in the book mentioned above to learn how
to choose appropriate min/default/max lease-times before doing anything else.

Ciao, Michael.