moving subnet to another server

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Fri Jan 9 19:54:50 UTC 2015

To keep track of the already leased IP's and prevent duplicates, either
1) [As suggested] setup the leases in different ranges on the new vs old server.
2) Move the dhcp.leases file [I've done this myself, IRL] along with the config to the new server. [You'd shut down the old server, copy the leases file to the new and start it.]

Someone here should know more about #2, but if the versions don't vary too greatly this should be fairly safe.
[The docs seem to indicate that a v3 dhcp.leases file should also be compatible with a v4 dhcp.leases binary/release. They suggest that you check the syntax of both the config and the .leases files before you actually start the new dhcpd.]

[As I understand it, you're simply moving the DHCP server to new hardware, using all the same configs etc. - hopefully I've not misunderstood anything.]

How busy is busy? 10 leases an hour, 1000, 10K, 100K?
DHCPd isn't very resource intensive. Disk I/O is usually the first thing that constrains the server.
If disk IO isn't a problem, DHCPd can crank out a boat-load of leases very quickly.
DDNS is a bit more load, but still shouldn't be huge.

Finally, in a heavy load situation, where reliability is critical, it might be worth considering using fail-over peers with 4.2.X or newer.
[All that said, I'm no super-guru for DHCPd - so take my contributions with your own review of the docs and list etc.]

HTH

-Greg

Thanks Patrick.   I don't know how to handle that. Not sure how smart dhcp is to detect such a condition or how long it would take for things to sort itself out.
The default-lease-time in the subnet declaration is 600.   Is there a preferred way to handle this?