client class parameters inside subnet decl?

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Sat Aug 20 11:31:45 UTC 2016

On 19 Aug 2016, at 23:50, Václav Ovsík wrote:

> Hi,
> I have doubts about correctness of the following configuration:
 [...]
> This is simplified configuration already.

  Please don't hide the configuration which is causing you trouble;
  this makes it difficult for anyone to help you.

  The problem you seem to be describing can arise either because
  of internal inconsistency within the configuration or because
  the configuration does not correspond to the network topology.

  If you mean to use both prefixes 10.2.44.0/24 and 10.2.255.0/24
  on the same network, you need an enclosing "shared-network" block
  around the two (or more) "subnet" blocks.

  The fragment you've sent has three declarations of the same
  class; this is an internal inconsistency.  Besides, reference to
  p.443 of "The DHCP Handbook" (Droms & Lemon, ISBN: 1-57870-137-6)
  suggests that a "class" declaration is not valid within a "pool"
  declaration. I expect you may need a permit statement referencing
  the class.

  Best regards,

  Niall O'Reilly

  PS. There is a later (2nd) edition of the book I mentioned,
  whose ISBN is 075-2063323274. /N