client class parameters inside subnet decl?

Václav Ovsík vaclav.ovsik at i.cz
Mon Aug 22 07:52:34 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:31:45PM +0100, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2016, at 23:50, Václav Ovsík wrote:

>  [...]
> > This is simplified configuration already.
>
>   Please don't hide the configuration which is causing you trouble;
>   this makes it difficult for anyone to help you.

I did simplification and the interesting point was preserved, the
original configuration was too complicated...

>   The problem you seem to be describing can arise either because
>   of internal inconsistency within the configuration or because
>   the configuration does not correspond to the network topology.

the first point is this case probably. I found
http://serverfault.com/questions/741387/classes-declaration-inside-of-subnets-in-isc-dhcp
but there was no warning from dhcpd in my case.

I didn't certain, that every aspect of class is global only and my
configuration construction is inconsistent.

>   If you mean to use both prefixes 10.2.44.0/24 and 10.2.255.0/24
>   on the same network, you need an enclosing "shared-network" block
>   around the two (or more) "subnet" blocks.

There was no physical net 10.2.255.0/24. It was used solely to show
my problem in configuration.

>   The fragment you've sent has three declarations of the same
>   class; this is an internal inconsistency.  Besides, reference to
>   p.443 of "The DHCP Handbook" (Droms & Lemon, ISBN: 1-57870-137-6)
>   suggests that a "class" declaration is not valid within a "pool"
>   declaration. I expect you may need a permit statement referencing
>   the class.

Thanks!
Maybe dhcpd should emit a message about this inconsistency :(.
Have a nice day
--
Zito