Set up DHCP server IPv6 on Ubuntu 14.04

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Thu Dec 1 10:31:01 UTC 2016

On 1 Dec 2016, at 9:47, Reed Xia wrote:

> I have a Ubuntu 14.04 with 2 Ethernet adapters(eth0 and eth1), eth0 is
> connected to an homeware device, I need set up DHCP IPv6 service
> against eth0(I set the IPv6 address for eth0 as 2007::7/64 in Ubuntu),

   Perhaps you mean 2001::7 (mentioned in the configuration fragment you
sent) ?

> and I want the homeware to obtain a fixed IPv6 address(2001::10),

   2001::/32 is reserved for a specific purpose (see
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry/iana-ipv6-special-registry.xhtml).
  Re-using part of this address space for your own, private
purpose is likely to cause trouble for you or others.

   You should not do this.

   If you have not been assigned a global address prefix, you should
consider using a Unique
   Local IPv6 prefix (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4193).

> so I did it in following way, now the problem is the homeware always
> cannot get IPv6, I can see message "Unable to pick client prefix: no
> IPv6 pools on this shared network" from dhcpd service, I guess the
> dhcpd6.conf have some problem, can you please help figure out?

   The message is telling you that a 'pool6' specification is expected.
It is clear from
   the man-page that this is allowed, but NOT clear that it is required.
  I'ld suggest
   trying the following where you currently have just a 'range6'
specification:

   pool6 {
     range6 ...
   }