DHCPv6 isn't updating DNS

Joshua Schaeffer jschaeffer0922 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 21:04:41 UTC 2017

On 08/12/2017 04:51 AM, Philippe Clérié wrote:

> I also have the same problem. In fact, I posted about it:
>
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2015-June/018952.html
>
> In my case though it's only the static leases. Dynamic addresses update just fine. Eventually I quit trying and used static records when needed. I kept the configuration to get some warning if/when some update has it working.

I ended up figuring this out. The client was not send the fqdn.fqdn. Apparently this is required. I was using Ubuntu 16.04 and in the past this option was send by default from dhclient, however due to bug 1604617 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/isc-dhcp/+bug/1604617> it was no longer being sent. The only place I could find a reference to option 39 (fqdn) being required is in Kea's documentation <ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/1.2.0/doc/kea-guide.html#dhcp6-ddns-config> (of which I was trying to switch over to because of this problem). Once I manually set fqdn.fqdn in dhclient.conf on my test client ISC DHCP updated the DNS records. There was nothing wrong with the server setup at all.

I haven't tried updating static leases yet, as I've just being setting static addresses on the hosts' themselves. Of course you would need the "update-static-leases" option set to on in order to update them through DHCP.

Perhaps I just missed the sections in the man pages or in the RFC's about requiring option 39 from the client in order to update DNS, but even if I did its moot at this point.

Thanks,
Joshua Schaeffer