Script to run on DHCPNAK

Mark Spring mspring at nktelco.com
Fri Jul 21 13:48:33 UTC 2017

Bill,

I will check that out, looks like it could be handy.

My solution for the time being is to send all syslog messages to a
solarwinds server. That server looks for NAK's and checks for the OUI of
the gear I'm using and passes it off to another script to sleep and process
the reboot command. Then solarwinds discards all messages from the DHCP
server. I will be looking for a server that I can setup standalone as I
don't care for solarwinds much and certainly don't like the fact that it
runs on windows, but it does seem to be a good logging server and there
aren't any licensing fees attached to that(since we already have the Orion
software). Splunk would be a great option if they weren't also so proud
about their software.

Thanks for all the input for those that chimed in!

Mark Spring
Information Systems Manager

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:14 AM, Bill Shirley <
bill at c3po.polymerindustries.biz> wrote:

> You might look into Simple Event Correlator (SEC)
> https://simple-evcorr.github.io/
>
> It can monitor your log files and trigger events.  It's an rpm on Fedora;
> don't know about
> other distros.  There's a mailling list and Risto, the author, is always
> responsive.
>
> Bill
>

> On 7/19/2017 8:18 PM, Mark Spring wrote:
>
> I am having some issues with network gear, and while arguing with vendors
> about who's problem it really is..I noticed that my device receives a NAK
> before it receives the proper IP address from our server(when the gear
> comes back online). If I can track this down in the logs then I can look
> for the ACK that follows, login to the device and reboot it properly.
>
> I wrote a script to try and tail the log file with bash and I have been
> able to pick off the traffic but the buffer when tailing in bash leaves me
> with a case where time before the device is handled is indefinite.
>
> I have read about the "on commit" in the config and that doesn't seem to
> help, the expiry and other options don't seem to fit my needs either.
>
> I'm not necessarily committed to BASH, it just seemed to be the quickest
> go to without a lot of fluff...considered PERL PHP or Python. Don't have a
> lot of experience with one particular language, just use what works for
> each scenario.
>
> Let me know where I can fill in blanks!
>
> Mark Spring
> Information Systems Manager
>
> NKTelco
> 301 W. South St.
> New Knoxville, OH 45871
>
> Phone: 1-888-NKTELCO
> Fax: 419-753-2950 <(419)%20753-2950>
>
> This message and the file(s) attached are confidential and proprietary
> information of NKTelco for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
> unauthorized review, distribution, disclosure, copying, use, or
> dissemination, either whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Do not
> transmit these documents, in any form, to any third party without the
> expressed written permission of NKTelco.

NKTelco
301 W. South St.
New Knoxville, OH 45871

Phone: 1-888-NKTELCO