Procedure for failover partner replacement.

Bob McDonald bmcdonaldjr at gmail.com
Thu May 11 13:35:42 UTC 2017

I've got a failing dhcp failover partner. (the partner is a HA cluster and
both nodes are being RMAed. Long story)

My question is this. Is the following procedure ok for the replacement?
(I've already confirmed the new version of DHCP is exactly the same as the
old one)

1) before shutting down the failing partner cluster, stop DHCP and save the
dhcpd.leases file and the DHCPD.conf file.
2) shut down the failing partner cluster completely.
3) bring up the replacement partner cluster while leaving DHCPD turmed off.
4) restore the DHCPD.leases and DHCPD.conf files.
5) restart DHPCD on the replacement partner cluster.

My contention is that this will result in the failover pair going into
partner-interrupted state for about 5 or 10 minutes while the HA cluster is
replaced and then should restart communications as if nothing happened when
the replacement partner comes live. Thoughts?

Regards,

Bob