VLAN and fixed IPs

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Thu Sep 28 13:45:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Doug Hughes wrote:

> 3rd for Option 82. Most switches DHCP relay agent will support this via
> a command. The problem I ran into with the ISC DHCP option 82 was that I
> could do it based upon circuit-id (switch port) or on switch ID
> (sometimes IP address of switch, sometimes configurable to mac, or
> sometimes to hostname, usually configurable), but trying many different
> ways I could never get it to use both at the same time.

yes isc cannot match both.

Generally you should have control over what values you provision into circuit-id or remote-id so you should be able to provision a sufficently unique value so you can get by with only matching one of them.

In an isp ptp fibre scenario I provision the customers lineid into option82 circuit-id.

> If your use case is simple on a single switch, or multiple switches
> where the switch port is unique, it should work just fine.

the trick is to design your network so that what you want is possible.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2