dhclient process lifetime

Lukas Erlacher erlacher at in.tum.de
Tue Feb 6 10:00:51 UTC 2018

Hallo,

I hope this is the correct place for isc-dhcp-client (dhclient) issues.

I do not understand why dhclient behaves the way it does vis-a-vis
process lifetime and hope someone can explain it to me.

I am running isc-dhcp-client 4.3.5-3 on Raspbian 9.3.

When I run this twice:

> dhclient -v -4 -pf /run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0

Two dhclient processes will be running. That seems very undesirable,
especially since I've already observed a corrupted leasefile that had
interleaved writes.

If I want to make sure that only one dhclient process is running for an
interface, it appears I first have to run dhclient -x to make sure any
running process gets killed.

Is this normal/intended behaviour?

Thanks,
Luke