Static only hosts, no dynamic/reserved leases.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 12:54:33 UTC 2018

george Nopicture <mad-proffessor at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, i have tried every possible combination to achieve an effect of
> static only configuration where no range is defined in a subnet/pool
> nor any options are sent to the clients. Only hosts stanzas are defined
> in dhcpd.conf under a subnet declaration, however if i set my client
> from my linux machine to boot via dhcp i get an ip from the server and
> see all the dhcp talking(DISCOVER,REQUEST etc) taking place in journal
> logs.
> What i want to achieve is that dhcpd denies talking dhcp protocol at
> all to any client booting with automatic configuration.
> Any hints, gotchas would be greatly appreciated.

It should be sufficient to have something like this :

<common options - eg dns servers>
subnet a.b.c.0 ...
  router a.b.c.d;
}

host ....
  match ...
  fixed address a.b.c.x;
}

Any client not listed in a host statement will not get an address as there isn't a range to give it one. In the logs you'd see lots of "no leases" messages if there are such clients on the network - you can suppress these with an "ignore unknown-clients" statement in the subnet (or globally) as long as there really are no dynamic clients to be served.

If this isn't working for you, then post your config file and example log entries.