Regarding the dhcp lease time

Murali Krishna muralikrishch at gmail.com
Tue May 7 16:58:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

Shift in the system clock is part of the usecase(got this information from
local team).
Also collected the pcap file by reproducing the issue.   I have taken the
screenshot of the pcap file where it clearly mentions about the huge lease
value.

Im not very sure whether it is ok to attach the complete pcap file to the
discussion.

Also could you please help me understand how the lease value is calculated?
How the lease value is calculated at the server end and provided to the
client? How the client lease file is updated?

In the current scenario(in one of the execution) where the time stamp is
updated to the older value as part of the use case
Time stamp on the Server is:
date:  date: Fri May 2 00:00:17 IST 2014

Time stamp on the client side is:
date: Tue May 7 15:12:08 IST 2019

>From the lease file(content) on the client side:
  option dhcp-lease-time 158253456;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option dhcp-server-identifier 169.254.64.12;
  renew 5 2021/06/11 03:34:31;
  rebind 2 2023/09/26 02:07:54;
  expire 0 2024/05/12 01:02:36;

This dhcp-lease-time is matching approximately to the difference in the
timestamps of server and the client.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH