no subnet declaration & not configured to listened on any interfaces error message trouble

LOCHET Charles charles.lochet at lecnam.net
Thu Feb 27 13:50:05 UTC 2020

We have 2 Dhcp server, dhcp3 service former debian, then changing
of virtualizing server, I have to reinstall them on new esxi virtualizing servers,
so did install debian 10 and isc dhcp server, copie dhcpd.conf config file and adapt it,
verify it with dhcpd -t dhcpd.conf got not error,
so start it and got error message:

no subnet declaration for start (no ipv4 adresses)

not configured to listen on any interfaces!

I then checked /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server    and   /etc/network/interface   files
which looked ok.
I had been advised to start with simpler dhcp.conf files to start and add bit by bit areas…
But I always get the same error message whatever subnet declration I have inside my config file.

I don’t understand what happens or what to do now… looks like what ever the dhcpd.conf file is, I get same error
message, is there any other config file I don’t know about ? or anything missing ?

server is at 192.134.130.43 and config files are such:

##########interfaces file:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug ens192
iface ens192 inet static
address 192.134.130.43
#address 192.134.130.20
netmask 255.255.255.240
gateway 192.134.130.33
broadcast 192.134.130.31
dns-nameservers 192.134.130.2, 192.134.130.22,163.173.128.6, 192.134.130.60
dns-search esgt.cnam.fr<http://esgt.cnam.fr>

up service isc-dhcp-server restart

###### isc-dhcp-server file:

# Defaults for isc-dhcp-server (sourced by /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server)

# Path to dhcpd's config file (default: /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf).
DHCPDv4_CONF=/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
#DHCPDv6_CONF=/etc/dhcp/dhcpd6.conf

# Path to dhcpd's PID file (default: /var/run/dhcpd.pid).
DHCPDv4_PID=/var/run/dhcpd.pid
#DHCPDv6_PID=/var/run/dhcpd6.pid

# Additional options to start dhcpd with.
# Don't use options -cf or -pf here; use DHCPD_CONF/ DHCPD_PID instead
#OPTIONS=""

# On what interfaces should the DHCP server (dhcpd) serve DHCP requests?
# Separate multiple interfaces with spaces, e.g. "eth0 eth1".
INTERFACESv4="ens192"
INTERFACESv6=«  »

##### DHCPD.CONF file

# dhcpd.conf
#
# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
#

option domain-name "esgt.cnam.fr<http://esgt.cnam.fr>";

option domain-name-servers marmite.egst.cnam.fr<http://marmite.egst.cnam.fr>;

option domain-name-servers marmite.esgt.cnam.fr<http://marmite.esgt.cnam.fr>, 163.173.128.6;

authoritative;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 192.134.130.32 netmask 255.255.255.240 {
range 192.134.130.34 192.134.130.46;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.240;
option broadcast-address 192.134.130.47;
option routers 192.134.130.33;

}

# The ddns-updates-style parameter controls whether or not the server will
# attempt to do a DNS update when a lease is confirmed. We default to the
# behavior of the version 2 packages ('none', since DHCP v2 didn't
# have support for DDNS.)
ddns-update-style none;

Charles Lochet ESGT / Le Cnam Service Informatique
1, Boulevard Pythagore
Campus Universitaire
72000  Le Mans Mél    : charles.lochet at lecnam.net<mailto:olivier.villin at lecnam.net>
Tél    : +33(0)2 43 43 31 03Fax    : +33(0)2 43 43 31 57