On-going work on DHCP project : RFC4361 support

Thomas PEGEOT thomas.pegeot at sogeti.com
Mon Mar 15 08:50:22 UTC 2010

Hello,

As part of my final year project (French equivalent of a Master degree in
computing science), I’m working on an ipv4 to ipv6 migration research
project.

First, I was asked to work on ISC DHCP in order to make dual stack clients
be able to identity correctly for DDNS updates. This consists in solving the
problem described in the “Dual IPv4/IPv6 Client Considerations” part of the
RFC 4703 and therefore implementing the RFC 4361. It aims at allowing DHCPv4
clients to be identified by an IAID and a DUID, and in that way having
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 clients compute the same DHCID from a common DUID.

The modifications I wrote are currently reviewed by my tutor (René Garcia,
who already reported bugs here). Afterwards, I’m going to send these patches
to this mailing list in hopes of having them merged with the CVS code.

As the DHCID support is not implemented yet in ISC DHCP, I’m going now to
study this problem and try to write down patches in order to solve this. I
will keep you informed about this.

I hope that you will be interested in my work.

Regards,

Thomas PEGEOT