On-going work on DHCP project : RFC4361 support

Thomas PEGEOT thomas.pegeot at sogeti.com
Mon Mar 15 15:55:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

Actually, the changes I brought to the DHCP source code don’t force DHCPv4
clients to use DUID based client-identifiers in order to keep backward
compatibility. Forcing every user to migrate to this new kind of
client-identifiers would be a mess. That’s why I’ve chosen to enable the use
of a DUID based client-identifier only if the required argument is passed to
the dhclient executable.

Regarding the DHCID, I intended to add a new compilation option (I’ve
already started to implement it) that would enable the support of real DHCID
records. This option would be by default disabled: in this case, the old TXT
records would be used.

Guys, what do you think about this?

Thomas.

  _____