identification of posters with identd

Frank Swasey fswasey at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 2 14:01:36 UTC 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Piotr Klaban wrote:

> If there is a multiuser machine on your network, and
> one user would send spam - with identd you can identify the account,
> otherwise you will need to watch processes of that
> machine, or even block all the users to prevent spam.

What about those of us idiots that run a system as our Firewall/Masquerade
box between our home machine and our ISP?  identd to that box to identify
which user is on the connection is going to return an failure.  What is
nnrpd going to do in that situation?

> Additionaly, what do you think of permitting/denying access
> only for
> 	identd-response at server
> in nnrp.access?

Do I understand you correctly that you want to be able to tell nnrpd that
if the identd fails (as in my above paragraph) then I won't be able to
post?  If that's the case, then I'm glad you're not my ISP.

Frank