identification of posters with identd

Piotr Klaban makler at man.torun.pl
Thu Dec 2 14:19:44 UTC 1999

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 09:01:36AM -0500, Frank Swasey wrote:
> Do I understand you correctly that you want to be able to tell nnrpd that
> if the identd fails (as in my above paragraph) then I won't be able to
> post?  If that's the case, then I'm glad you're not my ISP.

No, this is not the case. If identd fails -> then nnrpd
would allow posting but I can see in the log, that someone wrote
an article from <FAIL>@your-address. Then if it is a spam,
I can block your-address. If there is in log user at your-address,
then I can contact this user directly and/or block the user
directly, not the whole domain and/or tell the admin of your-address
what is the user doing.

Using identd for dial-ups would be good solution only then,
if you could identify (not necessarily directly) the phone number
of the spammer/user.

Piotr Klaban