need locking active?

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Sun Dec 5 11:40:58 UTC 1999

> - mod-active renames active to active.old      (actsyncd)
> - innd tries to open active in ICDreadactive() (controlchan)

(I assume mod-active does already pause the server correctly.)
Unfortunately there is no _real_ lock in innd - ctlinnd commands can
access the history despite pause and that is a well known race
condition.

What would be needed: rewrite all the parts which need locking so that
reserve/pause becomes reliable and all parts observe a common
protocol. That would be a major change in some places. It would also
raise the question how to handle ctlinnd commands which wait for the
lock in a uniform way.

Olaf