That 'newgroup' DOS thing....

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Wed Dec 8 16:09:44 UTC 1999

Hello All!

I didn't see any commentary on this list about the flood of 'hipcrime'
faked newgroup control messages. We had to sit through the flood, watching
it load down our news server with newgroup processes.

We've got things setup right so we didn't get any of these bogus groups
created, but it would have been nice to avoid the wasted process time.

Even if we can't set something up in advance, is there a config file or
other mechanism such that when we identify a 'category' of unwanted
control message we could quickly add a parameter with filtering syntax to
a config file and have INND reject the *rest* of the bad newgroup messages
without spawning those additional processes?