inetd.conf and inn.watch

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Fri Dec 17 00:41:31 UTC 1999

> 1-Do I have to keep in inetd.conf the following lines?

No.

> nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/rc.news  rc.news

This can't work because innd (started by rc.news) tries to grab the
NNTP port which is already held by inetd.

rc.news is meant to be run at boot-time (via /etc/rc.<something>).
inetd has nothing to do with it.

> nntp    stream  udp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/rc.news  rc.news

... and this is outright nonsense. Not only do "stream" and "udp" not
match (doesn't your inetd complain about that?), there is just no UDP
NNTP service. Most services are either TCP _or_ UDP; it just happens
that the test services conveniently located at the top of inetd.conf
are both but that's an exception.

Olaf