Issues with 2.3experimental

John P Speno speno at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 22 19:37:52 UTC 1999

I'd like to bring up some issues that I've come across while playing with
INN 2.3experimental over the past few days. So far, so good. Thank you all
for your excellent work!

My test server is a Compaq DS20, running Tru64 UNIX 4.0f w/patch kit #1.

The issues:

1. I'd like to be able to configure different paths for at least the active
and history files. Currently, to change these paths, one must edit:

include/paths.h (or paths.h.in or whatever)
samples/innshellvars.*

I'd rather see another option for configure for these files...

2. Child nnrpd's from 'nnrpd -D' don't get reaped and thus leave behind
<defunct> processes. I don't know the "correct" way to fix this, but I did
perform a quick fix which seemed to work, and that was this:

*** nnrpd.c     Thu Jul 22 14:24:02 1999
--- nnrpd.c.old Thu Jul 22 14:23:39 1999
***************
*** 800,806 ****
        fclose(pidfile);

        /* Set signal handle to care for dead children */
!       (void)signal(SIGCHLD, WaitChild);
        SetupDaemon();

        TITLEset("nnrpd: accepting connections");
--- 800,806 ----
        fclose(pidfile);

        /* Set signal handle to care for dead children */
!       (void)signal(SIGCHLD, SIG_IGN);
        SetupDaemon();

        TITLEset("nnrpd: accepting connections");

It looks like the original code was trying to stop SIGCHLD from being sent.
I guess we need a way to make that really work. Is someone working on it?