makehistory "error" with new code ...

John P Speno speno at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 22 17:20:28 UTC 1999

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 06:23:35AM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> In article <19990603151005.A42279 at isc>,
> 	John P Speno <speno at isc.upenn.edu> wrote;
>
> } new OV code is integrated, I prefer to have a makehistory that works and
> } can read old non-SM article spools. :-)
> }
> } Any chance of that by 2.3?
>
> I believe tradspool would be able to.

Having tested this, I believe you are correct. I copied part of my existing
spool and the active file from the INN 1.x machine to the 2.3exp machine and
did the following:

makehistory -O		(create history and overview in one shot)
makedbz -s 143		(very small history file)
mv history.n.hash history.hash
mv history.n.dir history.dir
mv history.n.index history.index

Since my old spool was just that, plain old spool format, I've set
wireformat to false on the INN 2.3exp server.

I wasn't sure this would work, but it seems to work just fine. I'll be
continuing my testing for a few more weeks though.