my distaste for readers.conf grows

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at mailhost.ecn.ou.edu
Tue Nov 16 05:38:41 UTC 1999

In message <19991115200719.A24990 at panix.com>you write:
>It's beginning to seem to me like the readers.conf has been an
>unmitigated disaster, and all the feedback I've seen is making me
>wish I'd never implemented it in the first place.  Does *anyone*
>(besides me) actually prefer it to the old format?

The functionality (especially the ability to call out to external
authenticators) is nice.  Actually getting readers.conf to do what I wanted
required a good deal of trial and error, but once done, let me do a
couple things that I couldn't have done with the old nnrp.access.  Mind you,
this was back when readers.conf just came out, and the documentation was
nonexistent.  I'd say readers.conf is worth keeping, but could desperately
use a good tutorial.