my distaste for readers.conf grows

Mark Hittinger msh at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Nov 18 04:02:08 UTC 1999

Readers.conf does take some getting used to, but if you get into it a little
you can see that it has some possibilities.  Here is an example snippet of
a file which is very close to the nnrp.access level of functionality.  We
have a program on the dedicated (leased line) side of the house which generates
an nnrp.access format access file every hour.  On a test box this is being
passed through a program which emits a reader.conf some of which is
included below.  The trick seems to be the use of "key:".  Our understanding
of how this actually works may be flawed - but this appears to be doing the
job for us today.

Frankly at this point we have enough records in the access database that
I'm thinking we need something like the old sendmail had, something to
"compile" the access file into its binary representation so that nnrpd
can just mmap in the binary and not have to parse it each time.

FYI

auth "outside" { hosts: "*" }
auth "R00017" { key: n hosts: "xxx.xxx.xxx.*" default: "<dedicated>" }
auth "R00248" { key: n hosts: "*.xxxxxx.com" default: "<dedicated>" }
auth "R00592" { key: s hosts: "yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy" default: "<spammer>" }
access "legacy-users"
{
   # legacy users get everything but private groups and clarinet
   key: n
   users: "*"
   newsgroups: "*,!mindspring.*,!netcom.*,!clari.*"
   access: "RP"
}
access "spam-users"
{
   # temporary "possible" spammer access, do not allow postings
   key: s
   users: "*"
   newsgroups: "*,!mindspring.*,!netcom.*,!clari.*"
   access: "R"
}

Later

Mark Hittinger