INN's install program

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Tue Nov 23 03:38:17 UTC 1999

 Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>

> Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at ifi.uio.no> writes:
> > [Forrest J. Cavalier, III]
>
> >>   The initial install needs root, but it would be nice that a make
> >>   update does the right thing when run as news.  (Obviously can't
> >>   replace inndstart, but should be able to do the rest.)
>
> > You only need root if you run your server on a low port number.  I
> > always install as the user "news".
>
> Okay, how should install-sh handle this, then?

I assume we are talking about installit.sh, not install-sh,
right? ....

Backing up a bit, I question why Makefile.global.in needs to be
    -O @NEWSUSER@ -G @NEWSGRP@

and that shouldn't simply change to:
    -o @NEWSUSER@ -g @NEWSGRP@

Although I can see some merit for a "safety net" which
requests a root user provide confirmation of a questionable
action, I don't think the installit.sh is doing that.

I can't think of the situation when -O -G is better to use
than -o -g, but it is late, so I may just be missing it.
Someone help me see it.