What are control control.cancel and junk groups?

Kevin McKinnon kevin at sunshinecable.com
Wed Nov 10 18:38:40 UTC 1999

antonio wrote:
> Hi I don' t understand what are these 3 groups : control control.cancel and
> junk. I'v tried to remove them but if I do it innd doesn't start...

The requirement for having these newsgroups is documented in the
INSTALL file.

> What is the purpose of these groups ?

Control messages for adding and removing new newsgroups are
propagated via the control group.  Message cancellation messages are
propagated via control.cancel.

> Are they necessary?

Yes.

> If yes how may I make them invisible?

In your ~news/etc/readers.conf file, change the ordinary users
section to read as:

# ordinary users
access "all" {
        # users can read/post to all but our internal newsgroups.
        users: "*"
        newsgroups: "*,!control.*,!junk"
        access: "Read Post"
}

I've been running INN 2.3 for ~four months, I can't remember if
readers.conf is the same for INN 2.2 or earlier.  Your mileage with
this suggestion may vary depending on which version of INN you're
running.

Cheers,
Kev

Kevin McKinnon                                   kevin at sunshinecable.com
USENET News Server Administrator            newsmaster at sunshinecable.com
Sunshine Communications Cable Internet             www.sunshinecable.com
[INN2.3  cronkite.sunshinecable.com  feed current:4.2Mbps, peak:6.9Mbps]