Bug in buffindexed?

The Hermit Hacker scrappy at hub.org
Mon Oct 4 01:47:31 UTC 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910031639460.485-100000 at thelab.hub.org>,
> 	The Hermit Hacker <scrappy at hub.org> wrote;
>
> } One thing I'm curious about, and that is how painfully slow it is to
> } recreate the overviews...rebuilding history takes no time, but I ran
> } 'makehistory -I -O' on a PII server with 768Meg of RAM and something like
> } 36gig of full CNFS buffers, and after ~14hrs I said to hell with it, wip'd
> } out the CNFS/overview buffers and started with empty spools again...
>
> It'll take less time if you have enough space for temprary
> directory which is specified with '-T' and give 0 to '-l'.
> Default is 100000 for '-l'.  See makehistory(8).

Actually, I tried that for the '14 hr rebuild' I gave up on...I think I
had -l up to 5000000 or something silly like that...the 'tmp directory'
stuff took awhile, but in compoarison to the overview rebuild stages, the
'tmp directory files' was negligible time :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy at hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org