trying to narrow down nnrpd problem ... in newgroups?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 6 03:55:39 UTC 1999

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy at hub.org> writes:

> Issuing teh following just hangs...I added a bit of debugging code, and
> it appears that around like 599 of nnrpd/commands.c, there is a loop
> that starts:

> syslog(L_ERROR, "%s getting active.times", ClientHost);
>     /* Read the file, ignoring long lines. */
>     while ((p = QIOread(qp)) != NULL) {
>         if ((q = strchr(p, ' ')) == NULL)
>             continue;

> the 'syslog' error at the beginning I added...as well as one right after
> the loop ends...the loop doesn't appear to ever end...

Yeah, I had a feeling that was where it might be.  My sneaking suspicion,
based mostly on what part of the code invoked from that list is the newest
and least thoroughly tested and modified the most recently, is that it has
something to do with OVgroupstats(), which is called for each pass through
that loop and is dealing with buffindexed stuff.

But I went and looked at the buffindexed code and I don't see anything
amiss there, so this may be a completely wild guess.

It's just that nothing else in that loop has changed recently so far as I
know....