Hacking configure

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 9 13:07:31 UTC 1999

I'm currently working on a major overhaul of the build system, getting rid
of a bunch of autoconf checks we weren't using, actually using some that
we should have been using, having autoconf set stuff directly rather than
indirectly through subst, ripping out a bunch of old prototypes in
clibrary.h that were potentially shadowing system prototypes, and most
importantly getting it back to the point where we can just run autoheader
to rebuild config.h.in from configure.in and an acconfig.h.

I've run across a bunch of really interesting weirdness so far, probably
most notably the fact that compilation on SunOS hasn't been working since
the merge with Clayton's code base.  (mymemory.h went away, and it's
included on any system that's lacking a string.h header file.)  Probably a
good sign that no one noticed.  :)

Anyway, I'm swinging a really big axe, trying to clean out the rat's nest
of config.h, configdata.h, clibrary.h, macros.h, paths.h, and libinn.h, so
although I'm going to compile on a few different platforms around here
when I'm done, I'll probably manage to break something *somewhere*
regardless.

So this is a preliminary head's up so that people know what's coming.

When I'm done, clibrary.h at least will no longer be a subst victim, and
I think we'll be pretty close to retiring subst once and for all.  I'm
slowly cornering it in configdata.h, and then we can break out the tear
gas.  :)