newsgroup based expiry(2.3)

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Wed Oct 20 01:14:38 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910192139340.404-100000 at thelab.hub.org>,
	The Hermit Hacker <scrappy at hub.org> wrote;

} > are two approaches for it.  1) One which Richard proposed
} > is to include expiry time in token.  2) And another which
} > I proposed is let expireover do.  Both have side effects,
} > while they have each advantages.
} >
} > advantages
} > 1) expire finishes quickly
} > 2) modification of expire.ctl affects on whole articles
} >
} > side effects
} > 1) a. modification of expire.ctl affects on only newly
} >       incoming articles
} >    b. history grows for expiry info in token

Forgot to say,

       c. overview index grows for extended token (needed space
          is same as 2)

} How does this work as far as CNFS is concerned?  If I create a buffer
} "alt" (alt.binaries is always in a seperate buffer, in my case) and want
} to expire alt.fan, for instance, after 1 day, will the news system somehow
} be able to "reuse" teh expired space before it overwrites articles in
} other, non-expire based groups?

As to cnfs, the space will never be reused until write
pointer reaches there.  For self expiry method which
includes cnfs, newsgroup based expiry may not be so
effective for article storage.  But it will be to purge
overview space.  It's just the same as what 2.2.* does
--
Katsuhiro Kondou