Offloading readers in INN + CNFS

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Wed Oct 20 21:08:52 UTC 1999

[Dan Merillat]

>   I've had a co-worker propose a solution to making multiple
>   newservers.
>
>   Obviously, duplicating 10s of gigs of storage for each reader box
>   is infeasable, so he proposed the following solution:
>
>   send the overview information to the reader boxes, where they
>   maintain it.  They then call the storage box to grab specific
>   article-IDs for the client.

You have just described Diablo :-)

>   This would work, except the client will be getting quite a few
>   "article not found" errors, since it's going to be difficult to
>   determine when the article is overwritten on the storage server.

This is "solved" by handtuning the reader boxes to make sure the
overview info is expired before the articles on spool.  Note that in
the general case in the Diablo model the reader box can never know
whether an article exists or not, since it can contact several spool
servers which may specialize in keeping different types of articles.

Kjetil T.