innd dies with a high rate of newgroups

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 24 21:25:11 UTC 1999

Javier Henderson <javier at KJSL.COM> writes:

> I wrote up a script to generate a lot of newsgroups, and innd dies at
> some random time during the script execution, dumping core, if I
> throttle the server (to let the group creation happen faster). If I
> don't throttle the server, the script will run fine, but very slow (and
> the articles/sec processed also dips very low).

> Any ideas? I'm running the Oct 15th snapshot with FreeBSD 3.3.

ctlinnd newgroup while throttled has a long and not particularly
distinguished history; I thought all the bugs had been ironed out of it,
though....  But if you're throttling anyway, why not just append new
active lines to the end of the active file in the right format and then do
a ctlinnd reload active before unthrottling?