Interesting file descriptor problem in 2.3

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 24 21:31:12 UTC 1999

bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

>   System: inn-2.3_09-30 (and 10-05) on Linux 2.2.10 and 2.1.131.
>   When running innd on port 119 and starting reader processes, the
> number of file descriptors in use goes up rapidly. This doesn't happen
> when running nnrpd in daemon (-D) mode.

In use by a particular process, or by the system as a whole?  The number
in use by the system as a whole shouldn't increase due to file descriptor
leaks across forks, since the nnrpd child still has the same file
descriptor as the parent.

> I was seeing about 12-15 fd's per nnrpd process, and the problem went
> away after the change to daemon.

What overview method are you currently using?  I think Clayton's code had
various schemes to share data between the daemon nnrpd and its children
that may not work when innd is spawning nnrpds.