Hmmm, what's that doing there?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 26 11:02:02 UTC 1999

Olaf Titz <olaf at bigred.inka.de> writes:

> IMHO, the whole innshellvars thing sucks. There are much too many
> variables with the same meaning around and it seems somewhat hard to
> find the canonical one. That should be revamped in a way that the names
> in inn.conf, and only those, are right (with the nice side-effect that
> most of innshellvars* can be removed).

I was playing around a while back with the idea of, for the Perl version,
rather than just setting a bunch of variables in the %inn:: namespace
(which really isn't correct anyway, since lowercase namespaces go with
lowercase modules and lowercase modules are pragmata), creating a tied
hash backed by the inn.conf data.  But maybe that's *too* interesting.  :)

I would very much like to revamp the way we handle Perl scripts at some
point, at the very least replacing the require and innshellvars.pl with a
real INN.pm module and use lib '@PATHLIB@'; use INN.  Since we're now
requiring Perl 5, we can do it that way without loss of portability, and
it's a heck of a lot cleaner from the Perl perspective.

Plus, if we can solve the problem of getting Perl Makefile.PL's to run as
part of our build process (optionally, if desired), we can start
installing more interesting utilities as modules, including the stuff that
Greg mailed about and a bunch of stuff that's been sitting in my inbox for
quite a while that I need to do *something* with.  :)