active file too far ahead

Per Hedeland per at erix.ericsson.se
Wed Oct 27 15:03:56 UTC 1999

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>This has never been a problem for me (I run a mostly text server), so
>this isn't the reason.  I'm more inclined to think it has something to
>do with cancelled articles.  But should GROUP _ever_ return a highmark
>lower than that in active?  I think this behaviour is very confusing
>to clients.

Then they're b0rken, this should be perfectly acceptable (and might even
normal in some groups if you do/allow spam cancels:-) - taking your
example:

list active ifi.foredrag
ifi.foredrag 918 725 y

group ifi.foredrag
211 123 725 910 ifi.foredrag

- it could simply mean that articles 911-918 had arrived, been properly
filed, and subsequently canceled (I don't know if GROUP reports an
accurate himark these days, in olden times it certainly did). You must
*not* lower the active himark in this case, as any client that has seen
the 918 will assume that subsequent articles will have higher numbers.
(Or at least you must not lower it in such a way that innd will actually
file subsequent articles with numbers below 919.)

--Per Hedeland
per at erix.ericsson.se