active file too far ahead

Brian Kantor brian at karoshi.ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 27 15:34:21 UTC 1999

You should never lower the highest article number for any reason short
of complete catastrophe.  And not even then, if you can help it.

GROUP should return the highest article number which has ever existed,
even if that article has subsequently been removed due to cancel,
expire, or supercedure.

If some internal mechanism prevented an article from being stored, so
that at no time was it ever available for reading, however briefly,
that article may not need to be included in the group ordinality,
implementation dependent.

I hoped I'd made that clear the first time :-), but I'm fairly
certain it has also been clarified in the NNTP Common Practices RFC.
	- Brian