big cnfs configurations

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 31 06:22:22 UTC 1999

Mark Hittinger <msh at FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> Has anyone messed with a cnfs configuration involving a large number of
> partitions?  Specifically I'm talking about 100 to 300.  I suspect there
> will be various limits to be overcome, but has anyone already played in
> that space, and if so, what problems did you run into?

One problem that I've seen reported so far is that nnrpd by default will
open all cycbuffs when it starts up.  If your system has a limit on the
total number of file descriptors open at a time system-wide, this can
quickly run into that limit.  You can defer opening cycbuffs with a code
modification, but it may cause speed problems.