Migrating from Alpha to Intel

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Fri Sep 3 05:47:37 UTC 1999

I have an old creaky DEC Alpha UDB which is my family's news server.  It runs
INN 2.2.1 on RedHat Linux/Alpha.  I want to replace it with an AMD K6/2
motherboard that I just bought.  Since I'm cheap, I'm going to reuse the same
two external scsi disks.  I'm wondering about once I have the disks
transferred to the new machine and Linux/Intel installed, how I go about
migrating INN over?

Will doing a "make clean; make install" be enough, or are there 64 bit versus
32 bit issues in the history file or indexes that will necessitate a rebuild
of them?  As far as I can see, there is nothing in the various config files
that I want to change.

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.
SETI at Home:  Finally a *good* way to impress Jodie Foster